Thursday, January 17, 2008

Learning Curve



You would think that not a whole lot would surprise me in the realm of language and learning. I've taken many courses in education, psychology, linguistics and language acquisition- enough to know and understand the processes of and look-fors in language and learning development. And, of course, being a teacher of reading, writing, math, and language for the past seven years- well, that helps, too.

But, even with all of that experience, I just cannot seem to comprehend the amount of learning that is going on with my own child.

There is just something about this tiny little person who is still so new to this world, who somehow knows SO much. Ruthie is picking up not just words and skills at a pace faster than I can blink, but she's picking up actual knowledge. For example, I recently witnessed Ruthie making an actual self-correction. She was in bed looking at a book and I heard her say "car." Then, almost mmediately, she started saying "truck, truck, truck." I went over to her and, sure enough, the picture was of a truck, not a car. It can take an entire school year just to teach some 1st graders to even notice when they are reading something wrong, let alone how to fix it. Yet, my 21 month old daughter is correcting herself before she can even speak in full sentences.

This rapid learning curve of Ruthie's is totally expected at her age, but it's still amazing to watch unfold. No matter how much I thought I already knew, or how much I thought I understood, I am still learning right along with Ruthie.

1 comment:

Grandma Barb said...

Miss Ruthie, you are just such a smart little girl. Very good counting! I love you so much!

So for now until I see you on the camera - in the "immortal words" of your cousin, Jori - 8, 9, 10 ...bye bye!

Love and Kisses and Hugs,

Grandma