Saturday, January 20, 2007

What's in a Name?



As we think about what we want to name our children, there's so much that goes into the process. Origin, meaning, does it sound right, are they going to get made fun of? It's a huge decision, and a huge responsibility, providing someone with the name that she will take on for the rest of her life.

While we certainly explored other names, and the most dreadful possibilities at that, we both liked the name Ruth from the start. Biblically, Ruth is a cherished and loved member of the Jewish faith. Being the first convert to Judaism, this is a profoundly strong connection to Jon and his family. And, the name is also deeply connected to me, being that there was a Ruth some generations back in my family who was also a twin.

We also like that the name Ruth seems to always conjur up good people. All the Ruths or Ruthies I have known or have heard of have all been truly well-loved people. In fact, just about everyone I know has said to me, "My (grandma/aunt/mom's best friend) Ruth was just the greatest most sweetest person I ever knew." And, while I don't believe in relying solely on the meaning of a name to predict any sort of future characteristics for a person, I do think that it must effect everyone someway, somehow. But it is just one more reason for us to love the name Ruth, because only good things can possibly come to a person whose name means friend.

Baby Ruth, on the other hand, just means chocolatey-covered peanuts and nougat.

No comments: